Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Are we free?



  • What have you found challenging about this topic in philosophy?
The most challenging part about this topic is Sartre’s perspective of God’s existence. I believe in God, but Sartre believes God’s existence proves that I am a thing.  His theory, believes we do not have a choice. However, choices are made every day. For instance, we make a choice no matter if it is a yes or no or no mat.
  • What have you enjoyed (if anything) about studying this topic in philosophy?
I enjoyed discovering that we are not free. No matter the definition of free, we all have limitations of freedom. Also, I enjoyed that we cannot blame anyone or anything in life based on our decisions anymore. Both philosophers’ views are accurate because most of our lives are based on previous lessons in life, heredity, and environment. This topic showed me how my decisions affect the lives of others and I never viewed life by the fact that right and wrong is defined by us. This topic allowed me to view my life differently rather than thinking I was free because of the Bill of Rights.
  • What things in your daily experience have you noticed that you might not have prior to studying this topic in philosophy?
I noticed that most of my choices were based on heredity and environment. In my genetics, I believe I inherited the deadly sin of greed. My family is greedy for knowledge and education rather than money being the top priority on the list. Also, I noticed my environment affects the person I am today. I was trained by my parents and I surround myself around positive people for positive energy.
  • What things have you learned about yourself that you might not have prior to studying this topic in philosophy?
I learned that every choice I made in my life, I made it alone but it was based on how I was raised. I learned that I was born with a purpose and I decide what path I want to take in life.
  • Which thinking disposition did you find that you needed to use or feel that you should have used better during this section? What would it have helped you do? 
The thinking disposition that I used during this section was Confidence in Reasoning. I trust Blatchford’s view because my experiences in life have demonstrated his belief. Also, I trust my mind and the knowledge I have gain in life to help me through different problems I go through now and in the future. It would have helped me to be confident in any decisions in life because there is no one to blame nor any excuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment